Monday 23 November 2020

Etching process

 

Figure 1- Mthethwa, F., (2020). Petals. brass with dried petal 

In figure 1, I drew veins using black nail gel so that I can etch the negative space of the veins.

Figure 2- Mthethwa, F., (2020). Petals, brass with black nail gel and parcel tape. 

In figure 2, I pasted the parcel tape at the back of the petals so that the Ferric Chloride can  eat only the negative space of the veins. The metal that I etched is brass.

Figure 3- Mthethwa, F., (2020), Petals, brass with black nail gel.

In Figure 3, are etched brass petals. I found out that the thinner the plate the faster the etching and the thinner the metal the lighter the metal. I want to repeat the etching so that I can get it ring. I wonder, is it possible to make the mold of the these petals and cast them. Close-up for etched petals


Since the etching technique worked in my favor, I decide to make my own floral jewellery, as you can see the images below from figure 4 to figure 5.

Figure 4- Mthethwa, F., (2020). Rose petal earrings, brass and sterling silver


Figure 5- Mthethwa, F., (2020). Petal hairpin, brass, sterling silver and garnet.



No comments:

Post a Comment