Wednesday 1 April 2020

Organic

Organic refers to plants and animals. There is jewellery made using nature as a reference which is called organic jewellery. Some jewellery is also made from organic materials. The organic forms have irregular shapes, or an asymmetrical appearance and they often have a curvy flow to them. The influence of the organic can be seen everywhere. An interest in organic themes may be expressed with organic materials, or more indirectly, through structures, colours or forms inspired by nature or natural growth. 

Sharon Church is a jewellery designer that creates the work that I have in mind. Her works are naturalistic, sometimes depicting recognizable species, and they express nature through archetypal forms. I want to create contemporary jewellery that is naturalistic. As I look at roses, I feel inspired to create the jewellery that is pleasing to the eye. I try to make the rose petals realistic in form, creating texture and soft veins using a forging technique. I also consider the symbolism that roses hold.


Figure 1- Church, S., (unkown). Pendant, silver and wood.



No comments:

Post a Comment