Wednesday 4 March 2020

Mixed materials


In virtual gallery paper of mixed materials, I find out that there are precious and non-precious materials. The jewellery designers used mixed materials to manufacture jewellery. Years ago conventional jewellery controlled non-precious to look precious.

The French were makers of pearl imitations from blown glass to make jewellery. Different kinds of plating techniques were used and electroplating is used in nowadays. The pendant found in ancient Egyptian of tomb combines colored glass with silver which are precious and non-precious materials
This shows that the industry of jewellery design does not deal with precious materials only, but it combines both precious and non-precious to make jewellery. The precious materials are more expensive compared to the non-precious, jewellers are trying to make jewellery affordable to everyone.

Beppe Kessler is a jeweller that I think relates to my work in terms of  texture and in 3-dimensional form. Kessler combines textile and acrylic paint with gold leaf and semi-precious stones. In my work I want to imitate roses and rose petals in a 3-dimensional form by forging and doming. I can make my work be detailed by using etching technique. In addition of color in my work I can use acrylic gel to paint metal.

Kessler, B., (2019). No more flights brooch, alpaca, acrylic,photo, balsa wood, textile and aluminium.



No comments:

Post a Comment