Monday 30 November 2020

Spiritual mediation

Bruce Metcalf is the writer of the essay "On the Nature of Jewellery (part 1)" in which he wrote about the functions of jewellery. He states these to be spiritual mediation, social status, and redeemable wealth. On the functions mentioned above, I am only focusing on spiritual mediation. On the essay written by Metcalf says, "For as long as we know, jewellery is associated with the spiritual and the supernatural.’’ My approach to jewellery design and manufacture is to make jewellery that connects with my spirits. I am using roses as inspiration to create contemporary jewellery. 

Spiritual mediation is to connect spiritually with anything around you. Roses are flowers that connect with me, enhance my moods, and uplifts my spirits. Whenever I receive or buy roses, I smell them and feel excitement welling up inside me. The scent of roses clears my mind and gives me peace whenever there is a commotion in my heart and soul. Whenever I feel sad, angry or unhappy, roses change all the negative moods into something more positive, which brightens my day. This is how I connect spiritually with the roses.



No comments:

Post a Comment